6 of the 40 MLAs i.e. nearly 15% of all the winners in recently concluded assembly elections in Goa have serious crime allegations against them, a survey by Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) stated on Friday.
The survey included analysis of poll affidavits filed by the elected MLAs. Interestingly none of the MLAs had serious criminal charges in 2007, it went up to 7.5% in 2012 and 15% in 2017.
The other interesting findings of the survey are
* All 40 legislators are Crorepatis
* Average assets of MLAs in Goa Rs 10.90 cr, in 2012 the figure was 7.28 cr.
* 27 of the 40 MLAs have more than Rs 5 cr assets.
* Of the 67 candidates whose assets were Above 5 cr, 27 i.e. 40.3 percent won the polls
* 95 candidates who contested the elections in 2017 had assets below Rs 1 cr. They all lost the elections
* Calangute MLA Michael Lobo is the richest MLA with assets worth Rs 54.59 cr
* 11 law makers are above 60 years of age
* With reference to education – 18 MLAs are 12th pass and below,whereas 17 have studied upto graduation and above. Three of the ministers have stated their educational qualification as HSSC or below.
* Two ministers in the current cabinet have serious crime records against them.